Several messages came to me loud and clear in that session:
1. Excellence does not exist in a vacuum.
2. We tend to operate in a “State of SEDENTARY AGITATION.”
3. We all know what the problems are, but yet we all continue working in different directions.
4. We need to articulate a SHARED SET OF VALUES for our city and region.
5. A Zip code should just be an address, NOT a predictor of life outcomes.
6. The only impediment we have is ourselves.
I was fortunate enough to join Geoffrey Canada (pictured), founder of the Harlem Children’s Zone, on an elevator ride in the hotel. After a “fawning” hello, I told him that I was sorry to have missed his presentation at the Independent Sector conference in Detroit last week – November 6.
He responded with, “I am rooting for Detroit.” I assured him that WE ALL ARE!