What: Data Driven Detroit is seeking an experienced and energetic applicant to super-charge our research capacity in the role of Research Analyst. This is a full-time position, working 40 hours per week. D3 provides an attractive benefits package, including paid vacation and personal time; access to group health, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) profit-sharing plan; and eligibility for paid sabbatical leave.
Why: At D3, we exist as a data utility for the Southeast Michigan region, and research is a critical piece of the services we offer to our partners. While we enjoy sifting through spreadsheets and making maps, we also understand that there are times when the data hides additional insights that require more in-depth analysis to tease out. If you’re selected for this job, you’ll join a fast-paced, dynamic working environment where suggestions are welcomed and critical thinking is strongly encouraged. Your typical days will include collaborating with friendly co-workers on an everevolving suite of projects; designing and conducting both quantitative and qualitative research around subjects like early childhood, entrepreneurship, and neighborhood change; cleaning and manipulating data from local, state, and federal sources; and helping the D3 team further its shawarma addiction.
Where: Founded in 2009, Data Driven Detroit (D3) is a low-profit social enterprise pursuing our mission of providing accessible, high-quality analysis to drive informed decision-making in our communities. Our vision is that essential and unbiased information is used by all. We operate as a people-focused company, using the unique skills of our dedicated staff to provide information and analysis that reinforces the capacity of nonprofits, local governments, community groups, and other actors across Detroit, Southeast Michigan, and beyond.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in the social sciences, business/market research, or related field.
- Familiarity with basic descriptive statistics, and how to calculate them
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Experienced with writing reports and papers, especially with a quantitative orientation
- Flexibility in reacting to changing expectations
- Competence working with Microsoft Excel and/or database experience (Microsoft Access, SQL Server, etc.)
- Willing and able to explore innovative and efficient solutions to problems
- Experience managing individual deadlines and tasks as part of a project team
- Curiosity around data and a strong desire to answer any question
- Master’s degree or 2+ years of professional experience working with research and data
- Willingness to contribute to collective knowledge Able to manage projects, guide the work of teammates, and communicate with clients
- Competence working with Geographic Information Systems software (ArcGIS, QGIS, etc.)
- Proficiency with statistical software (R, Stata, SPSS, SAS, etc.)
- Working understanding of research design strategies, sampling, survey design, focus groups, and/or fieldwork methods
- Interest in a range of topics affecting social conditions, especially in an urban setting
- Familiarity with local governmental and political structures
- Understanding of the relationships between social conditions and quality of life outcomes
How: Please submit a resume and a quick answer to one of the following questions (responses should be no more than 150 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reviewing your materials!
1. How would you characterize Detroit’s current situation?
2. What role should data play in policymaking?
3. What question (research or otherwise) would you most like your time at D3 to answer, and why?
4. What do you consider most important to your professional development?