What: Data Driven Detroit (D3) is seeking an energetic applicant to join our team in the role of Information Design Specialist. This is a part-time, temporary position, working an average of 20 hours per week, with an hourly rate of $22.00 – $25.00 per hour depending on qualifications. Funding is secured for this position through January 31st, 2020. Additional benefits include flexible work hours, free parking near Midtown Detroit and access to everything that TechTown Detroit has to offer!
Why: At D3, we exist as a data utility for the Southeast Michigan region. We work to make data meaningful for our partners, and presenting visual information is key to successfully serving our community. While we have some tried-and-true ways to share our data with the world, we’re always looking to improve and expand on them, and with this position we’re looking to push the envelope in how people visually consume our data. If you’re selected for this job, you’ll join a fast-paced, dynamic working environment where suggestions are welcomed and critical thinking is strongly encouraged. Your typical days will include collaborating with friendly co-workers on an ever-evolving suite of projects and programs, designing materials for and participating in our community outreach activities and workshops, helping the D3 team tell stories through data, and assisting with brand refinement and implementation.
Where: Founded in 2009, D3 is a low-profit social enterprise pursuing our mission of providing accessible, high-quality information and analysis to drive informed decision-making. Our vision is that essential and unbiased information is used by all. We operate as a people-focused company, investing heavily in the professional growth and continued learning of our team. We use the unique skills of our dedicated staff to provide information and analysis that helps nonprofits, local governments, community groups, and others use data more effectively and efficiently in their day-to-day lives, whether in Detroit, Southeast Michigan, or beyond.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or college level classes in graphic design, information design, or related field.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, & Photoshop.
- Experience representing complex data and analytical results in compelling, easy-to-understand visualizations.
- Experience facilitating individuals and groups through user-centered-design and design-thinking processes.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Flexibility in reacting to changing priorities.
- Willing and able to explore innovative and efficient solutions to problems.
- Experience managing individual deadlines and tasks as part of a project team.
- Curiosity around data and a strong desire to answer any question.
- Interest or experience in Geographic Information Systems software (ArcGIS, QGIS, etc.).
- Interest or experience in Microsoft Excel and/or databases (Microsoft Access, SQL Server, etc.).
- Familiarity with principles of data analysis.
- Willingness to contribute to collective knowledge.
- Able to manage projects, guide the work of teammates, and communicate with clients.
- Interest in a range of topics affecting social conditions, especially in an urban setting.
- Familiarity with local governmental and political structures.
- Experience building connections with community groups.
How: Please submit a resume, a brief writing sample, and examples of your information design work to email@example.com, with the subject line “Information Design Specialist.” We look forward to reviewing your materials!