Data Driven Detroit (D3) is seeking a creative person with a passion for marketing, design, and data to join our team as a Data Design Specialist. This is a full-time, salaried position, working 40 hours per week, with a salary range of $40,000 – $43,000 depending on qualifications. We offer a number of benefits, including flexible paid time off; access to group health, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) profit-sharing plan; paid sabbatical and parental leave; and a commitment to work-life balance.
At D3, we’re dedicated to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. D3 does not conduct criminal background checks on prospective team members.
We expect this position to start as soon as practicable. Detroit residents and individuals who identify as Black, Indigenous, or People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Note that due to COVID-19 all D3 team members are working remotely until further notice.
At D3, we provide comprehensive data products to a variety of partners and the Detroit community at large, all of which require consistent branding, and many of which benefit from eye-catching visualizations. The Data Design Specialist will produce the creative components of these products, and assist us in fulfilling our mission by sharing our work through the D3 website, social media pages, and other channels. Your typical days will include data visualization, graphic design, branding, support for copywriting, social media management, and website maintenance, in close collaboration with our Co-Executive Directors and our analytical team.
- Create graphic components for visually appealing tools and products, including data visualizations (charts, tables, graphs, etc.), wireframes or thumbnail sketches, page layout for web portals or interactive reports, and social media, website, or report graphics
- Support team with branding for interactive maps and reports
- Review and polish presentations and reports to include refined page layout and copy, new or updated graphics, and font, color, and branding consistency
- Maintain brand guidelines and style guide
- Writing support, including writing and reviewing blogs and reports, reviewing and refining internal documents and operating procedures, and crafting or editing short copy for social media posts and newsletters
- Newsletter and email marketing support, including setting up and sending monthly newsletter and reporting on email performance
- Social media support, including weekly posts on Facebook and LinkedIn, and daily checks on notifications to respond to any important messages or comments
- Light website maintenance, including posting blogs and simple page edits
- Reporting on website performance and analytics
- Miscellaneous marketing and administrative tasks, including converting file formats and assisting with creating signable or fillable PDF files
Founded in 2009, D3 is a low-profit social enterprise pursuing our mission of providing accessible, high-quality analysis to drive informed decision-making.
We value unbiased access to data.
We exist to provide equitable access to information and help our community make better decisions.
We serve anyone seeking information to make more-informed decisions, including nonprofit organizations, foundations, universities, governments, businesses, and individuals.
We believe that behind every data point is a living, breathing person.
- Experience working in a graphic design or marketing position
- Familiar with data and information design
- Strong writing skills
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Cloud (or similar design software)
- Able to craft visually compelling graphics with consistent branding
- Strong attention to detail
- Familiar with Google Suite tools (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Slides)
- Familiar with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Able to solve problems and manage multiple priorities
- Familiarity with the nonprofit sector is a bonus, but not required
Submit a cover letter, resume, and samples of your work to email@example.com by September 17th, 2021. Include “Data Design Specialist” in the subject line.
Due to COVID-19, all interviews will be conducted remotely. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at AskD3@datadrivendetroit.org.
Thank you! We look forward to reviewing your materials!